Thursday, September 28, 2006


The climb...
they kept telling us to take the autoroute...But No...not the Russells!
I am halfway up, 4 hours, 18 kilometers, yes Jiro, we are walking most of the way. Today is like Little River to Ft. Bragg, but uphill like Van Damme canyon all the way to Noyo Bridge, then 'steep' downhill to Oak St. We are learning to swear in many languages! I drank a 70oz camelbak full already. Weather is perfect.
Ok, two camelbaks. Damn, that was tough. 4000' in 16 kilometers up..at one point my altimeter read a climb rate of 21' per minute...walking. Coming down was almost worse, even steeper, 1500' in 2 kilometers, mostly baseball sized rocks. Tom lost traction, skidded past Brian and I, right near the cliff side. Brain yelled at him to steer into the hill, and he pulled it off! Even missed the trees. A little later I went over the bars, a hidden cliff on the other side of a root..flying like superman. No damage to me or the bike. We got into Roncesvalles about two minutes before full dark, very tired. We had a room reserved, since we knew the hill of pain would be...painfull. The rooms were in a converted convent, quite stylin'.

David Russell

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Bro,

I managed to put off calling you guys until it was too late. So I'm watching your blog. Sounds like the macho Russell clan is at it again; never take the easy way! I envy you all the cool sites/sights, but not the sore butt and legs. Although I have those too, only from dressage and trail riding. Keep up the great blog so I can live your trip vicariously. You'll come home really buff, eh? Hola to the rest of the macho Russ-Bergs. Lib

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, David, I see you're having quite an adventure. I'm sure you've forgotten all about Ozzie in the meantime; we're not sure if he's thinking of you or not, alternating between sleeping on the bed and out catching things! Oh, he just chimed in, now that he knows your news, says you can keep bicycling, he's fine! Hasta la vista! Meeeeow! And we're enjoying the more than a thousand pelicans that congregate on the Mendocino Headlands rocks each evening by dusk. And some badminton! Oh, the spinsters say hi, too.
David Pengelley

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home